At the World Gas Conference (WGC) in Paris in the first week of June, a dedicated area was set aside for young industry professionals and students, called the Youth Event. A central feature of the event was two days of workshops to discuss key topics for the gas sector. At the end of the workshops, the teams with the best and most innovative ideas were given a chance to present to their experienced peers during the closing session of WGC Paris 2015. The competition's finalists tell us about their proposals.
"The selling points came to us very quickly and naturally. Which is just as well, since we hadn't really prepared before we came to the Youth Event," says the happy team. "By thinking about gas as a fuel, we realized how much difference it could make in the future. And maybe we'll find ourselves working on it in our careers, if CNG takes off. That would be pretty exciting!"
Here is a summary of their recommendations to boost the gas-as-transportation fuel, or CNG, industry:
- Investment: We need to get it going — and put enough money on the table!
- New incentives: Governments must offer tax incentives for users.
- New business model: It is vital to thoroughly understand local markets.
- Overcome the infrastructure problem: By stepping up cooperation among the sector's various stakeholders. Vehicles: Focus on the lease-to-buy and hybrid car markets.
- Act as spokespersons for gas: By educating the general public about its advantages.
- Take advantage of the current climate: It has never been more favorable to CNG!