The ambition of the Michelin Challenge Bibendum — running from November 11 to 14 in Chengdu, China — is “to make mobility safer, cleaner, more connected, more accessible [and] more affordable.” This perfectly sums up the philosophy of the sustainable mobility event that has been hosted by the French tiremaker for 15 years at different venues worldwide. Total, which is a strong proponent of greener, safer vehicles accessible to everyone, is one of the main sponsors of this year's event. We are, in fact, the official fuel supplier.
“As a company that produces, processes and distributes energy, we are directly concerned by sustainable transportation issues." says Jérôme Schmitt, Senior Vice President, Sustainable Development & Environment. “Our commitment is expressed in our day-to-day operations, where we strive to reduce our environmental footprint and develop products and services that enable customers to consume less energy, more efficiently.” The Total stand, featuring the colors of our new “Committed to Better Energy” signature, showcases our many products, services and innovations (see sidebar).
“The Challenge Bibendum is an opportunity to share ideas and experience with the latest sustainable transportation technologies and develop joint initiatives to leverage them," explained Thierry Pflimlin, Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs of Total Marketing & Services while being in Chengdu. “The fact that this year’s event is taking place in China also allows us to compare our vision with that of other stakeholders in the country. It’s a chance for us to add our voice to the message that sustainable transportation means a lot more than just making electric vehicles. Future solutions are likely to combine a broad array of new services with multiple energy sources, including fossil fuels, which will continue to play a major role."
Total, Official Fuel Supplier of Michelin Challenge Bibendum 2014
Total also offers:
- Lighter materials that improve the energy efficiency of vehicles, with carbon emissions cut by 8 grams per kilometer.
- Innovative products and services in the Total Ecosolutions lineup, which offset the emissions of 1.4 million tons of carbon dioxide equivalent in one year.
- Total Excellium fuels and Total Fuel Economy lubricants that can reduce fuel consumption, improving fuel efficiency by up to 7%.
- A biojet fuel developed jointly with our biotech partner Amyris.
- Non-ecotoxic, biodegradable lubricants for the merchant marine.
- Innovative solutions aimed at supporting car sharing and ride sharing businesses via the Ecomobilité Ventures (EMV) private equity fund.