Protecting the health and well-being of those living near where we operate is of critical importance. We are therefore involved, in all of our host countries, in programs to promote personal and public health that are adapted to the local situation.
Taking action to preserve everyone's health
Because of our global presence, we implement prevention measures to combat:
- Infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS and malaria, which often affect the most vulnerable members of the population.
- Emerging viral diseases like avian flu, which are creating new health risks.
- Substance abuse (tobacco and alcohol), which is a problem across the world.
- Obesity and cardiovascular diseases, which are on the rise in western and high-growth countries.
In our host countries, we work with local players to conduct large-scale campaigns in an effort to:
- Inform and educate local communities about major public health issues.
- Promote good health practices.
Working together to push research forward
Providing information and raising awareness are the first step, but advancing research would enable us to go even further in the combat against diseases. We therefore team up with research laboratories and NGOs to provide them with the resources they need through the Total Foundation.
Each initiative is adapted to local conditions and based as much as possible on host country health care systems and governments. The Total Foundation works with health professionals, educators and teachers around the world. In Morocco, for example, the Foundation supported an HIV/AIDS prevention campaign aimed at lorry drivers between 2007 and 2011.