The public hearing was conducted by the Joint Review Panel, an independent organization comprising two representatives of the Province of Alberta, mandated by Alberta’s Energy Resource Conservation Board (ERCB), and a third member representing the federal government, mandated by Environment Canada. The Joint Review Panel decided who had “intervenor status” to represent stakeholders and question the company about its project.
Intervenors could introduce witnesses and bring their own experts. All participation costs, such as travel expenses, studies and expert’s fees, were covered to ensure fair representation of all parties.
At the end of the hearing, the Joint Review Panel was tasked with submitting an opinion within 90 days to the Government of Alberta and Environment Canada, the federal environment department. If this opinion is favorable, the authorities concerned will issue their approval via an Order of Council within five months of the hearing.
Joslyn North Mine’s Public hearings
The Government of Alberta began reviewing Total’s Joslyn North Mine project in 2005.
Total submitted a comprehensive file detailing the project’s seven major phases and demonstrating its compliance with applicable legislation and regulations. The project was subsequently presented to the Joint Review Panel during a three-week public hearing from September 21 to October 8, 2010.
On January 27, 2011 the Panel, comprised of both federal and provincial authorities finds the Joslyn North Mine Project (JNMP) to be in the public interest and grants approval for the construction, operation, and reclamation of the Project.
On December 8, 2011 the Government of Canada gives its response for Joslyn North Mine Project
Regulatory Documents Joslyn Asset, a.k.a. Joslyn North Mine Project (JNMP)
- Report of the Joint Review Panel - January 27, 2011:
- Joslyn North Mine Project Additional Information - August 2010
- Joslyn North Mine Project Additional Information - July 2010
- Response to the Joint Review Panel - June 2010
- Joslyn North Mine Project Additional Information - February 2010
- Joslyn North Mine Project Update Letter - October 2009
- Joslyn North Mine Project Update Letter - June 2009
- Joslyn North Mine Project Update Letter - February 2008
- Third Round SIR Responses - December 2007 (AENV only)
- Third Round SIR Responses - December 2007 (EUB only)
- Secondary SIR Responses - October 2007 (EUB & AENV)
- Supplemental Information Submission - June 2007 (incl. Project update & SIRs)
- Joslyn North Mine Project Integrated Application - February 2006 (EUB & AENV)
Joint Review Panel Documents are available on Canadia Environmental Assessment Agency
The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency external website