Erika: The Appeal
The Public Prosecutor, Antonio Pollara, Giuseppe Savarese, the RINA and TOTAL S.A. had appealed against Paris Criminal Court decision of January 16, 2008.
The appeal was heard from October 6 to November 18, 2010 in Paris. The verdict was handed down by the Paris Court of Appeal on March 30, 2010.
A number of civil parties have indicated that they will associate themselves with the Public Prosecutor. Many civil parties such as Captain Mathur, have launched civil procedures to appeal against the amount of compensation set by the Court’s decision.
- November 2005: end of the judicial inquiry into the causes of the sinking by a panel of experts appointed by the Dunkirk Commercial Court.
- February 2006: the investigation is closed and the case is sent for trial before the Criminal Court in Paris.
- February to June 2007: the case is heard by the Criminal Court in Paris.
- January 16, 2008: the Criminal Court in Paris hands down its decision.
- End of January 2008: TOTAL S.A., the Public Prosecutor and several other parties appeal against the decision.
- October 5 to November 18, 2009: Appeal proceedings in Paris.
- March 30, 2010: Paris Court of Appeal judgment on the sinking of the Erika.
- April 6, 2010: Total takes its case to the "Cour de cassation"