Equal Treatment for Disabled Workers
In 2006, we signed a framework agreement with all the trade unions at Total to support employment for the disabled. The agreement, which was renewed in 2009, sets out our policy for workforce entry for disabled people in France.
We implement a number of initiatives to encourage the recruitment of disabled workers:
- Partnerships with associations such as Hanploi working to promote workforce entry, development and training for people with disabilities.
- Participation in recruitment forums specifically for the disabled, such as job dating and handicafés.
- Developing work-study contracts and/or internships.
- Measures to keep the disabled and work-disabled in their jobs through schedule accommodations, transfers to new positions, training and other means.
Mission Handicap has developed partnerships with specific schools and universities in France to foster educational opportunities for disabled students, including Université Pierre-et-Marie-Curie, the Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Pau business school and Institut La Salle de Beauvais.
We offer training to people with disabilities. Total has enrolled more than 200 disabled individuals annually at our training centers since 2003 in office technology, job search technique and English classes.
Further Initiatives in 2010
Total boosted its efforts to support people with disabilities in 2010 by reorganizing premises and workstations to accommodate disabled workers. The companies in the Worldwide Human Resources Survey (WHRS) scope* offered a total of €5.17 million (compared with €2.4 million in 2009) in subsidies to not-for-profit associations, service providers, partners and organizations employing people with disabilities or working to promote their integration in the workplace.
* An annual survey of Total’s social practices and HR policies covering more than 66,600 employees at 88 subsidiaries.
Fostering Recruitment of the Disabled
We regularly hold events to communicate our policy concerning the hiring and training of disabled workers:
- Production and distribution of a communication brochure entitled Différents comme nous tous [As Different As the Rest of Us].
- Educational events in Total units during France’s National Disability Week.
- Through Mission Handicap, participation in job fairs for the disabled and discussions and meetings.
- Other events including:
- A Special Olympics relay race, or "How to improve the lives of the disabled through sports" held each year in June on the mall at La Défense near Paris;
- Participation in France’s annual "Dys" Days to help raise awareness among the public about cognitive disorders that can be disabilities, such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and dysphasia.
- 2006: Framework Agreement to support the employment of people with disabilities, renewed in 2009.
- 2010: Agreement to support the employment of disabled workers during the period 2010-2012.