This glossary more specifically relates to oil and gas exploration and production terms.
- Device used to calculate the distance of an obstacle based on the time a soundwave takes to travel to the obstacle and back.
- Mixture of oil, gas, water and sand discharged from a well.
- An elementary particle carrying a negative electric charge. An electron’s mass is negligible compared with that of protons and neutrons.
- Enhanced recovery:
- Recovery techniques designed to extract more hydrocarbons from a reservoir by physical, chemical or thermal means.
- Equipping (a well):
- Installing instrumentation to monitor events in a producing well.
- Any method used to discover new oil and gas fields.
- Exploration well:
- Well drilled to find an oil field.