From climate change to demographic growth and economic development, energy is inextricably intertwined with the key issues facing today's world. At Total, we are committed to finding solutions to the challenge of climate change, while also supporting social and economic development worldwide by providing affordable, sustainable energy. That's why we have made this commitment the very basis of our strategy and of our ambition to become the responsible energy major.
Why it matters
Our industry is unlike any other. Energy helps meet vital needs, like food, warmth, light and transportation. It is also an essential driver of economic development all around the world. That gives us a special responsibility, made all the greater by the fact that our businesses are key players in the climate change challenge.
This responsibility to society is the legacy of our Group's history and forms an integral part of our DNA. As a major energy company, Total is committed to providing the world's growing population with affordable energy while adhering to the highest safety and environmental standards.
Challenges facing us over the next 20 years
Our ambition is to become the responsible energy major. To do that, we must address the main challenges that lie ahead of us in the next 20 years:
- To meet the needs of a growing world population, we are working to supply aff ordable energy that meets the highest safety and environmental standards.
- To tackle climate change, we are developing an energy mix consistent with the IEA’s 2°C scenario and whose carbon intensity declines steadily.
- To anticipate customer needs and be recognized for our convenient, quality local service, we are introducing innovative solutions to promote responsible energy use.
Oil and gas are expected to continue making up nearly 50% of the primary energy mix in 2035. That means we will still be an oil and gas major, ready to meet this demand. But our ambition is to leverage our talents to become the leader in responsible hydrocarbons, with a strong development focus on renewable energies. That's what being committed to better energy is all about.
Our response: Committed to better energy
To be sure, the world needs energy. But what it really needs is better energy to ensure sustainable, responsible growth. Because our ambition is to become the responsible energy major, we are committed to providing:
- Safer energy. Protecting the health and guaranteeing the safety of our employees, host communities and customers is our top priority. Anticipating and managing environmental risks around our plants is a key focus in everything we do.
- Cleaner energy. We are committed to cleaner energy, meaning energy that is friendlier to the local environment and preserves the global climate balance of our planet. That's why achieving a less carbon-intensive energy mix, improving the energy efficiency of our plants and products and developing renewable energies form an integral part of our development strategy.
- More affordable energy that creates value. At Total, we believe that growth can only be sustainable if it is shared. Making a commitment to better energy means enabling as many people as possible to access affordable, safe energy, at a time when 1.3 billion people still do not have electricity. It also means contributing to the development of our host countries and ensuring that our operations create value and opportunities by supporting employment, training and the local industrial fabric.
Our Commitments and Improvement Indicators