Fina Logo History: from Petrofina to Fina
The Compagnie Financière Belges des Pétroles, soon to become Petrofina, is set up in February 1920, and a few months later the firm joins with Pure Oil of Delaware in forming Purfina. In 1923, Purfina, with its triangular red brand logo, becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of Petrofina.
In the years following the Second World war, Petrofina expands on the international scene, with a strong presence in Europe, North America and Africa. The company also diversifies into petrochemicals.
The Fina brand appears. The new logo retains the red Purfina triangle but with a blue border added.
Over the following years, the brand evolves as Petrofina develops its activities: first steps in the North Sea, diversification into the paint segment, increased refining capacity, lubricant manufacturing...
During the 1970s, the Group continues to strengthen its positions. The logo is simplified and a new typography is adopted.
Even into the 1990s, the Fina logo harks back to the Group's origins with the same red-and-blue triangular symbol, but now with more modern rounded corners.
A fine ellipse is added to the logo to suggest innovation and technology.